Sunday, October 4, 2020

Post 4: Anti-War

Antiwar Voices: Are They Being Suppressed? 

After looking at the website ANTIWAR.COM, I noticed that it was very sketchy-looking. Just to be safe and make sure that I would not get a virus on my computer, I looked it up on Wikipedia. Surprisingly enough, I found information about the website. According to the Wikipedia article, the site was founded in 1995; which explains its' sketchy appearance. It was founded as a response to the Bosnian war, and their first objective was to "fight against intervention in the Balkans under the Clinton presidency." 



As for the American Conservative website, it appeared less sketchy. The Wikipedia article mentions that it was founded in 2002 in opposition to the Iraq War. The website itself states that it is not about debt and warfare, but about "liberty, localism, a strong middle class, staying out of foreign wars in which American interests are not at stake."

Prior to exploring these websites, I have never really heard strong antiwar voices. In fact, I never heard of either the sites. I believe that the reason antiwar voices are suppressed is due to the idea that being antiwar is unpatriotic. The United States was founded from a war, and we often celebrate war as well as our military. Personally, I believe that antiwar voices should not be suppressed. Instead, I believe that they should at least be acknowledged, which would help in supplementing the idea that everyone's voices are heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment